Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Illustration Friday-Smitten


Click image for larger view.

This is my entry for Illustration Friday's "smitten". I first consulted the dictionary, "strike with a firm blow" was the first entry. Reading about the origin of the word, it seems to come from another word based on "smear". So a squashed mosquito seemed to fit the bill. Originally hailing from Minnesota, I have indeed squished many of the these buggers.

I created the background by printing out a texture (thinking about a flyswatter or a tent screen), distressing it, and painting a wash over it. I drew the mosquito in Freehand, printed the image, and transferred it using Contact Paper, which caused the distressed look. I then mixed up red paint and made squished marks with my finger onto white paper (doing my best to imagine real, juicy mosquitos...because I want my work to be AUTHENTIC!). I then compiled the three pieces via scanner and Photoshop, tweaking as necessary, plus a bit of magic.

This is posted late, after the week was over. Oh well. I think this will also be the inspiration for this week's entry of "ghost", so be prepared for another verision.

Feedback welcome.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, my friend, your illustrations are always interesting and different. Just when I think I have you figured out, you amaze me with your creative mind. Thank you for letting others see your work.
Your pal,

Mike Limon
Ventura

October 24, 2006 3:33 PM  
Blogger denise said...

Such original ideas and work. Really love the effect you get combining traditional and digital media - and way cool that you share your process.

October 24, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger demosthenes said...

Scott,

even though i really like this one (and the one for ghost), i really, really liked the look you were going with for the B&O contest and the plant series. the art director in me thinks it would have been cool to incorporate that look into these two.

missed you last week, dude. glad yer back. :-)

oh, and this is easy (well, easier than digging ditches anyway) :-)

October 25, 2006 5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this as well...actually I like its flatness...you got to transform an organic shape into a mysterious calligraphy...

October 29, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Eric Dyck said...

thanks for your comments!

I really like your collage work...your technical proficiency is intimidating!

nice work...

November 15, 2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very nice work indeed

November 21, 2006 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home