Saturday, October 07, 2006

Bird Collage


Click image for a larger view.

So I bought Claudine Helmuth's Collage Discovery Workshop book, which is really a terrific book. I wanted to learn how to do image transfers. I have this collage idea that involves transferring images to layers of glass. This is my first try. I don't necessarily love the composition, but this one was mostly about figuring out the technique and process. I'm still not happy with my ability to get a good transfer to the glass. I try heat transfer, but the glass cracks. On this one, the bird was photocopied and then transferred via clear claulk. It works fine, but I don't like seeing the edge of the caulk around the image edge. I tried gel medium on the glass, but that didn't hold up.

Anyway, there are two layers of glass, separated by strips of board. The back is a hunk of plywood that I gessoed and textured and painted. I cemented the glass down with gel medium and then framed everything with paper coated in gel medium. The finished piece has a lot of texture and depth to it. And I like that the frame is integrated. I'm holding the piece while photographing it outside. You can see the shadow that the paper frame makes through the layers of glass. I'm excited to progess and perfect this technique. It's been fun to get my hands off the computer and get paint underneath my fingernails the last month or two.

Your thoughts are welcome!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, How are you? Interestin collage! I'll come back soon! Ciao!

October 08, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger constance wong said...

Ah, yes. I know that feeling too. There's this undescribable feeling/satisfaction one gets when making art 'traditionally'....

Only your first try? It already looks quite attractive. I'm very sure it will not be too long before you reach the stage where you will be 100% satisfied with your collage works. I like your CROWD collage.

October 09, 2006 4:21 AM  
Blogger Alexei Martins said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!!!!Awesome collage...love your works!!!Amazing!!!

October 10, 2006 6:57 AM  
Blogger Sophie from Grins and Sighs said...

hi, thanks for your comments on my blog. I enjoy seeing your experiments, would love to do so myself but keep running out of time, it seems...

For the transfer, have you tried Lazertran transfer paper? It's a wet release transfer paper. I have a great book about it, and the actual paper... but still haven't tried it.

October 10, 2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger A Sepia Colored Photo said...

wow!!! thats amazing!!! the bird is like... I AM A BIRD! and the thingy with glass. BRILIENT! awesome experiment thought. thing (^_^)

October 11, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger jim bradshaw said...

Someone looks like he is having too much fun. It's cool that you are experimenting. I know what you are feeling though. There is nothing like the creative rush you get when it comes out better than you expected. You'll be there soon.

October 12, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger moonsandstars said...

thnx...i love your work!!

October 13, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Ginger*:) said...

I enjoyed seeing the collage. The subject and the materials you used are really so effective and lovely. The work you have done makes it look as though you have always done these. I know the feeling of working with traditional materials...awesome.

October 13, 2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is wonderful!! Great concept and love the design!

October 16, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger Stacia said...

I have the Lazertran paper too and haven't tried it...I *think* you have to buy it directly from them, albeit I could be wrong. Their website is http://www.lazertran.com/

October 18, 2006 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home